Monday, April 7, 2008

Black Jesus

"I see black because I know I am."
-- Jesus C.

I didn't know JC was black. But then again I don't know if JC is white. Actually he might be a she....But that's a whole different topic to be discussed in a future post. Back to the subject at hand, and what large hands they are.


"You know what they say about guys with big hands."
-- Jesus C. (when asked for comment about his ridiculously large hands)


The concept of black Jesus stemmed from the African American art movement, by which black artists created art for other black people. This celebration of black art and black history meshed with religion to create black Jesus. Black Art romanticized Africa as the home of kings, queens, mathematicians and holy men, as though blacks were reaffirming, "God is in Africa, we are of Africa, God is in us."

This entitlement is common among those of the Christian faith, producing an array of ethnically diverse Jesus representations. I say this diversity is a beautiful thing, as I for one do not wish to only take my picture with white forms of JC. Let's stop being nice and start getting real people.


And we can't forget that popular Everlast song from the 90's.




Next time:
JC and ME photo shoot #1

No comments: